As winter approaches, snow removal businesses face the vital task of keeping roads safe and navigable. This blog delves into various de-icing solutions, shedding light on their advantages and offering practical tips for businesses in this sector. Understanding the diverse range of de-icing products is key to effective and safe snow removal.
Bulk salt, a staple in snow removal, excels in melting ice at temperatures up to -15°C. For businesses, it’s crucial to understand its storage and application methods for maximum efficiency. Bulk salt is most effective when applied early in a snow event and in sufficient quantities. Additionally, businesses should establish early-season relationships with suppliers to ensure a steady supply throughout winter.
Treated salt, coated with magnesium chloride, works in colder temperatures (-25°C). Its reduced environmental impact makes it a responsible choice for businesses. Effective pre-wetting techniques can enhance its performance, reducing the amount needed and minimizing costs. Partnering with suppliers who offer high-quality treated salt is beneficial for long-term operational success.
The sand/salt mix combines traction and de-icing, suitable for diverse winter scenarios. The mix’s application should be adjusted based on weather conditions and traffic patterns. Snow removal businesses should train their teams to efficiently use this mix to ensure safety and conservation of resources. Strategic storage of the mix can also enhance its accessibility and effectiveness.
Bagged Rock Salt
Bagged rock salt offers ease of use and storage, which is ideal for targeted applications. Businesses should educate their teams on proper spreading techniques to maximize its -15°C effectiveness. The portability of these bags allows for quick response to icy conditions, making it essential for on-the-go de-icing needs. Bulk purchasing and proper storage of bagged rock salt can lead to significant cost savings.
Lake Effect De-Icer
With its unique formulation effective down to -27°C, Lake Effect De-Icer is a powerful tool for extreme conditions. Understanding the correct application rates and timing is vital for businesses to optimize its use. Training staff on the specific handling and storage requirements of this product will ensure its maximum efficacy.
Sifto Xtreme Ice Melter
Sifto Xtreme Ice Melter, effective up to -31°C, is designed for the most severe winter conditions. Businesses should focus on strategic application, utilizing this product in areas most prone to extreme cold. Familiarity with its composition will aid in selecting the right scenarios for its use, ensuring safety and efficiency.
Calcium chloride, effective in temperatures as low as -30°C, requires knowledgeable handling due to its aggressive nature. Snow removal businesses should train their teams on the specific safety measures and application techniques for this product. An early ordering strategy and proper storage conditions are crucial for maintaining a reliable supply.
Prioritizing Personal Safety
For snow removal contractors and businesses, the safety of employees should be paramount. Here are essential tips to ensure personal safety during snow and ice removal:
- Proper Training: Provide comprehensive training on the use of equipment like snow blowers, plows, and spreaders. This includes understanding the machinery’s operational limits and safety features.
- Wear Appropriate Gear: Employees should be equipped with high-visibility clothing, waterproof and insulated gloves, slip-resistant footwear, and eye protection. This gear not only protects against the cold but also enhances visibility in poor weather conditions.
- Stay Hydrated and Take Breaks: The physical exertion of snow removal can be taxing. Encourage regular breaks and staying hydrated to prevent fatigue and overexertion.
- Be Mindful of Surroundings: Instruct workers to be aware of their surroundings, including overhead hazards like icicles and snow accumulation on roofs and ground-level hazards like uneven surfaces or hidden curbs.
- First Aid and Emergency Procedures: Ensure all employees are familiar with basic first aid and know the procedures for emergency situations, including hypothermia and frostbite.
Efficient and Safe Snow Removal Practices
Efficient snow and ice removal is not just about speed but also about safe practices. Here are key tips for businesses:
- Pre-Treatment Strategies: Applying de-icing agents before a snowfall can reduce ice accumulation and make removal more manageable and safer.
- Use of Technology: Leverage weather tracking technologies to anticipate storms and plan removal strategies in advance. This proactive approach can minimize risks associated with unexpected weather changes.
- Proper Equipment Maintenance: Regularly check and maintain snow removal equipment. This includes ensuring blades are sharp, fluids are topped up, and all safety features are functional.
- Clear Communication: Establish clear communication channels within the team. This includes updates on weather conditions, area-specific instructions, and safety alerts.
- Environmental Considerations: Use environmentally friendly de-icing products when possible and train staff in their proper application to minimize environmental impact.
By adhering to these safety and efficiency guidelines, snow removal contractors and businesses can ensure the well-being of their employees and the effectiveness of their snow and ice removal operations.
For snow removal businesses, choosing the right de-icing solution is a balance between efficacy, cost, and environmental impact. Understanding each product’s characteristics and best practices is essential for maintaining road safety and operational efficiency. Early planning, staff training, and establishing strong supplier relationships are key strategies for success in this challenging but crucial industry.
Contact FSI Landscape Supply today for more information on bulk salt and de-icing products!