FSI Landscape Supply weighs in on the benefits of road salt for winter safety. (Source: Forbes, Salt +Winter Roads = Safety, A New Study Finds, Tanya Mohn, January 31, 2014, https://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamohn/2014/01/31/salt-winter-roads-safety-a-new-study-finds-3/?sh=f1852af3a359 ).
As per Tanya Mohn’s introduction, most drivers are aware of the importance of applying road salt on the road during winter. However, many drivers need to be aware of road salt’s incredible benefits. According to the Forbes article, a new study has found that road salt can prevent injuries, crashes, and deaths.
FSI Landscape Supply agrees to this. FSI Landscape Supply shares, “de-icing agents and road salt can dramatically improve transportation conditions during winter. Road salt has been used for many years to prevent ice formation, and many contractors understand that there is a concern about overuse. However, various practices have been implemented over time to help control road salt applications. Still, the number one priority is safety for all. Pedestrians and drivers can navigate to their destination with road salt paving the way for a clear and safe commute.”
Maintaining road safety in winter and after storms
The article discusses the results of the study called the Safety Impacts of Using De-icing Salt. According to the study, road surface conditions are the most important safety factor during the colder months. It is more important than the air temperature, visibility, wind speed, and more.
FSI Landscape Supply agrees with this statement and states, “unsafe, slushy, and snow-covered roads often lead to multiple accidents and collisions, slips and falls. Road conditions not only impact the general public. Unsafe road conditions also make it difficult for ambulances, police cars, and fire department vehicles to carry out their job. The delays can often become fatal for people stuck in emergencies.”
This is where the role of bulk salt comes into the picture. The Forbes article mentions some key points:
- Road salt reduces the risk of vehicle collision by 85%. FSI Landscape Supply adds, “road salt is readily available, sustainable, and reliable. It offers an excellent way for enhancing road safety.”
- “Road salt with combined methods of brine and sand can help improve traction on the road,” claims FSI Landscape Supply. An improvement of 10% in road friction can reduce the number of crashes by 20%.
- The Safety Impacts of Using De-icing Salt proved that before-and-after-analysis on four-lane roads showed that de-icing salt reduced crashes and collisions by 93%.
“Thus, snow removal companies, landscaping professionals, and contractors should keep bulk salt handy and in stock early on. Weather is unpredictable, therefore ensuring your supply will have any snow removal team ready and prepared”, says FSI Landscape Supply.
The Forbes article also recommends some essential tips that motorists and regular people can use to prevent winter-related crashes. Landscaping contractors should consider the following methods:
- Keep your tires fully inflated. FSI Landscape Supply expresses, “you can’t help anyone if you can’t help yourself first. For contractors, your equipment and machine should be checked before and after every job. Equipment and snow removal machines should be in working order before tackling contracts. This ensures safety and job completion.”
- Your gas tank should always be full. FSI Landscape Supply suggests, “if your vehicle’s tank isn’t full, make sure to keep it at least half full with a good sense of the location of the nearest fuel station. This will reduce your chances of being stuck in emergencies.”
- Always practice precaution while accelerating and de-accelerating.
Apart from these tips, FSI Landscape Supply also suggests that contractors should have extensive knowledge of various de-icing materials. “Understanding your material will give you the confidence to apply the correct methods for any condition. Which prevents panic, stress, and frustration when tackling winter head-on.”