In the month of March, the weather gradually turns as winter gives way to spring. There tends to be a mental shift during this month as well. People begin turning their attention towards the upcoming summer months. For most people, it’s an exciting time as they look forward to spending more time outdoors than having to contend with the cold.
When it comes to planning and designing landscape projects, there’s no better time than March to get started. Think about it – it’s an early start that allows landscaping contractors and professionals to get creative and experiment. Even if you’re not happy with how your landscaping experiments are turning out two months into your project, you’ll still have time to turn things around.
In this article, we’ll take you through all the landscape planning and design aspects you need to pay attention to in March. So, without any further delay, let’s march ahead!
Conduct assessment of the existing landscape area
The most essential aspect you should think of is the existing condition of your landscape area. To start things off nicely, you need to conduct a thorough assessment and take the following steps:
- Check for uprooted or damaged bushes, shrubs, and trees.
- Look for accumulated debris.
- Observe the pathways, patio areas, stepping stones, walkways, and natural stonework for movement or damage from the elements of winter.
- Clear the area by removing debris, leaves, and mulch from perennials’ crowns and places of bulb growth.
- Cut perennials’ dead stems.
- Press back frost-heaved perennials.
- After the soil is in a workable condition, plant bare-root plants like fruit trees or ornamental trees and shrubs.
- Remove evergreen boughs, burlap, and other protective plant coverings.
- After the ground thaws, use compost to top-dress beds.
Ensure you have the proper landscape supplies
You’ll need the proper landscape supplies before you get started, such as:
- Various soils, including topsoil types like Premium Triple Mix, Planting Soil, Shredded Topsoil
- Fertilizer/compost (for e.g. mushroom compost)
- Grass seed
- Sand and gravel
- Landscape fabric
- Landscape edging
- Sealers/stone cleaners
It’s essential for landscape contractors and professionals to have these supplies on hand and in stock as preparation and organization will minimize delays, start projects ahead of schedule, and prepare for any unforeseen changes or unexpected new projects.
Follow the trends
New trends are constantly emerging in the world of gardening and landscaping. It’s essential that landscaping professionals stay on top of these trends to ensure that their work is dynamic and caters to modern customers.
Let’s take a look at 2022’s most popular landscaping trends:
- Kitchen gardens: Kitchen gardens aren’t just incredible from a visual standpoint. They need less space, lower maintenance costs, and provide easy access to essential ingredients required for cooking up delectable dishes.
- Maximization of garden space: People are on the lookout for more growing space in their gardens without reducing the square footage. Popular choices for garden space maximization include vertical and container gardens.
- Eco-friendly practices: Eco-friendly landscaping practices like stormwater mitigation eliminate flooding and drainage issues. Creating rain gardens and installing drainage solutions are recommended.
So, make the month of March count. Start planning and designing your landscaping project to make it functional and visually appealing. Contact FSI Landscape Supply for all your landscaping supply needs!